Wednesday 6 April 2016

Scrapbooking male-themed Project Life pages

Today I am sharing a layout from my 2016 Project Life album about my partner David's birthday in January. I don't know about you, but for me, I've always found scrapbooking male-themed layouts difficult. I am always conscious of trying to make a layout that isn't too "girly', if you understand what I mean? It's a hard thing to do sometimes when you are a woman...for me it is anyway.

I'm not usually a fan of  male-themed scrapbooking or Project Life lines so when scrapbooking layouts about the boys or men in my life, I've found that the secret is to use bright colours, gender-neutral embellishments such as stars, arrows, or cameras, plus worded embellishments that describe the day/event and my loved one's personality. Don't be afraid to mix brands in scrapbooking Project Life layouts for boys/men either! I do it almost every page I make (regardless of whether they are male or female oriented) as I think it gives them a fun, unique look. additionally, if you choose supplies based around a colour scheme instead of a brand, your layout will still look unified and balanced.

In constructing the layout above for my partner David's birthday in January, I first decided on the colour scheme that I wanted to use for my Project Life page. I then went to my scrapbooking and Project Life supplies and pulled items in the colours that I wanted to use for the layout, putting them together a small kit. I used this method to scrapbook my December Daily album and also use it for each time Project Life page I do. I have almost all of my scrapbooking and Project Life supplies sorted by colour as I am a visual learner and it makes it far easier for me to choose supplies. If you often find yourself feeling overwhelmed by trying to sift through sheets and packets of different cards, papers, and embellishments in an effort to choose supplies for your scrapbooking or Project Life layouts, maybe you could try sorting your supplies and putting together your pages in this way too.


For the layout's title card (see above), I used a Becky Higgins Project Life 4x6 grid card and mixed embellishments from Studio Calico, October Afternoon and Simple Stories with some alphas by Jillibean Soup, My Mind's Eye, and Heidi Swapp. I then carried the same colours and some embellishments (e.g. the Studio Calico wood veneer stars and Jillibean Soup black letters) throughout the rest of the layout too so it looks balanced.



Above are examples of 2 stock-standard Project Life cards (red card by Studio Calico and Yellow card by Amy Tangerine Plus One collection) that I have embellished with some die-cuts, stickers, chipboards and wood veneer stars. Again, this is another technique that I often employ in scrapbooking Project Life pages, regardless of the spread's theme.

I made the male-themed journalling card from this layout from scratch using a piece of 4x6 Simple Stories patterned paper and a piece of white cardstock. Stripes are perfect for scrapbooking pages about men/boys! I then clustered and layered embellishments on the card in the colours echoed through the rest of the layout, popping some up with foam squares to give dimension. I always hand-write my journalling as the process is quicker and I would like the people reading my Project Life album in the future to know what my handwriting was like. Again, these are techniques that I commonly employ in scrapbooking my Project Life pages, regardless of the theme of the layout.

I hope that you found this post helpful and maybe have a few new ideas for how to approach scrapbooking Project Life pages about the important men or boys in your life. If so, I'd love to hear from you. Also, if you have any questions about scrapbooking male-themed pages, I'm happy to help you in any way I can. I'm looking forward to sharing many more Project Life pages with you again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment